The posting on the right tells the story of John C. Metcalfe (1904 - 1971), reporter for the CHICAGO DAILY TIMES who lied about his identity in order to spy on the Amerikadeutscher Volksbund (the German-American Bund) in Astoria, New York. He easily won over their confidence and rapidly rose through their ranks. Before too long the reporter found that he was the go-to-guy for Representative Martin Dies (1900 – 1972), Chairman of the House Committee Investigating Un-American Activities; the reporter's testimony proved vital to the committee and their work. His findings amazed the Congressmen:
• The German American Bund had an active membership of 25,000 (and another group of devotees numbered at 75,000 "who were willing to be seen at Bund public gatherings", with an additional 400,000 sympathizers being trained to to serve as spies and saboteurs)
• There existed an entire company within the Illinois National Guard that was manned entirely by Bund members
• Fritz Kuhn wielded enough power in Germany to have brought about the removal of Dr. Hans Luther from his position as the Reich's ambassador in Washington
• The German American Bund repeatedly engaged in assorted acts geared to incite anti-Semitic rage in various American cities
• The German American Bund took their marching orders directly from the Ausland Bureau in Stuttgart, Germany
Click here to read about the origins of Fascist thought...
- from Amazon: