To read this 100-year-old article is to understand that the inhumane conditions of today's alien detention centers on the Southwest border are a part of a larger continuum in American history. This article addressed the atrocious conditions that could be found at Ellis Island in 1921:
"Go down to Ellis Island! You will find:"
• Immigrants herded like cattle in the ill-ventilated, fetid detention-room.
• No separate quarters provided for mothers with babies in arms.
• Vermin on the walls and floors of detention-room and in dormitories.
• Immigrants forced to sleep indiscriminately two in a bed or on the floors.
• Only 1,100 beds, although the overnight population averages from 2,000 to 3,000 and often is as high as 4,500.
• No mattresses for beds - only blankets spread over strips of steel; bunks built in tiers, three high.
• Only six bathtubs for use of all the women and small children.
• No bathtubs for men; thousands forced to use sixteen shower/bathtubs.
• Lavatories so inadequate that they are a menace to the general health.
• Many wash-basins on the upper level lack a water supply.
• Water pumps that are thoroughly inadequate to combat fires..
• Only 40 medical inspectors to examine the thousands who pour-in weekly.
- from Amazon: