This article first appeared in an American magazine intended for W.W. I veterans and it listed all the various happenings that were taking place during the Summer of 1914, when the war began:
• A new type of light summer suit for men was selling in New York for $6.50.
• Irene and Vernon Castle were the acknowledged leaders in ballroom dancing.
• The conventional bathing suit for women featured a cape.
• One of the most popular songs was "You Wore a Tulip".
• Babe Ruth made his debut as a pitcher.