Attached are the results of a nationwide survey from 1954 indicating what the American automobile consumers were shopping for in cars:
• 53% of survey participants wished car designers would lighten-up on the application of chrome
• 54% preferred whitewall tires over any other kind
• 68% preferred push-button door handles
• 59% wanted jet-age hood ornaments
• 44% wished that dashboards were loaded with dials and other assorted gauges
Facts about American car ownership in the 1920s can be read here...