Between 1906 and 1909, the Holy Spirit had come to dwell among the people in Los Angeles. One April day, in a run-down livery stable that was converted to a church, Pastor William Seymore (1870 – 1922) broke out into tongues and so did everyone within earshot. In fact, people blocks away began to speak in tongues and witnessing to all passersby. Within no time, the walls of that "tumble-down shack on Azusa Street" were decorated with the crutches, canes and hearing horns of the recently healed. The attached article was written by one of the few attendees to remain totally unaltered by the righteous energy that permeated the neighborhood.
As William Seymore lay dying in 1922, he prophesied that in one hundred years there would be another Azusa Street-style revival, but that one will be ten times stronger.
The image above was taken thirty years after the fact, but the appearance of the structure remained unchanged.